August 11, 2010

Chennai..Singara Chennai

Chennai or Madras is always a lovely place. For me, it's a city where history sleeps..It has a valuable past and paints a bright future as well.....The public transport is a mascot of an administration concerned about social welfare, &, at the same time, ecological footprint. I derived mental pleasure in riding in the city bus. I frequently brushed aside Sreepathy's criticism..he called me a "miser" for not opting to use his Bullet or an auto rickshaw.

Strolling thru the galis (thanks to Shiny, I walked alongside her like a kid) I saw dirt, slum people and their lives....maybe I will be able to do something, some time.....when? i don't know! India has to go a long way, no doubt.

Coming from a quiet, relatively  dust free, smoke free area, I naturally choked. Yes, I was in Chennai for 2 days. I was disturbed by the noise pollution. A "disciplinarian" (discipline is a perversion?) like me naturally did not like how Chennaites drove their vehicles of all types from the now-getting-rare bullock carts, bicycles and the M Benz. I was not at all angry, though. On the other hand, I was surprised to feel the urgency and positive spirit of the Chennai folks.

Naturally, I wondered about the "Green Umbrellas" of Chennai. It is everywhere........copper pods, Lannea coromandelica (I learned that this is a good avenue tree, Thanks Chennai) & much more.........

Polyalthia longifolia-the green umbrellas in front of Southern Railways
Another view

trees are elastic and plastic...Pruned & shaped up
Plants give you anti-oxidants!
beat the heat and cholesterol as well
The Green Umbrellas shielding GOD-live and let live
Shiny going green for lunch in Anna Salai
The Green Umbrellas of Madras High court
Tree breaks to cut noise and dust pollution
The street might be busy...the pavement is however "green"

  


congrats & Thanks........Chennaites for opting the Green Umbrellas.

No comments:

Post a Comment