September 21, 2010

In Uppsala with Prof. Liden in Linn Hammarby

Miles away I am thankful to my late Prof. LCB for engineering this trip. He threw open a really wonderful path for me. Alas he is not there today. I can imagine how enthusiastically you would had welcomed my pilgrimage to the Linnaen sites. Miss you, Sir.


In the Linn Hammarby, his summer house-cum-lecture halls


Another professor, who with equal enthusiasm and spirit welcomed my interest and desire to vist the Uppsala heritage sites was Prof. Magnus Liden of Uppsala University. Since the days of my Linnaeus ecourse, I had nourised a secret dream to visit this place. But never in my wildest dreams did I expect that I would receive one of the most memorable welcomes in my professional life.



Prof. Liden explaining the theme plant of the first paper of Linn
Prof. Liden is a natural plant taxonomist. Devoid of any trappings, he was very easy going & knowledgeable. More importantly he was ready to explain and took pains to show me all that is worth seeing for me around in his own car. He took me everywhere, the museums, the gardens, the Hammarby. Thank you so much, Prof. Liden. Yes, I will come again to see the cathedral we missed.


Not at all forgetting Mr. Abdulla, the young Turkish botanist who was with us. I am sure he is soon going to make a name for himself in Ankara.  Good luck, young man. One day I will visit your garden.

Hi Abdulla...Thank U
How can I miss to thank my dear sister-in-law and her sister (Yup, my wife) for leading from the front and making this trip a memorable one for me? Thank you so much.


Ya, behind every successful man there is a woman (so said an idiot)

No comments:

Post a Comment